Kareena Kapoor, one of the most powerful actresses in Bollywood lost out on many blockbusters that went on to create history. The actress however has said that she rejected these films because they did not excite her. Here are some of the films that Kareena Kapoor declined to do for different reasons –
- Kaho Na Pyaar Hai – The actress stepped out of her would-be debut film starring Hrithik Roshan, because she felt that the movie was tailor-made for the lead male actor. In stepped Amisha Patel and the movie went on to create history. The chemistry beweeen Hrithik Roshan and Amisha was raved about. Hrithik’s debut movie went on to create trends, he went on to collect 100 awards of different shapes and sizes for the film. Amisha was noticed too, that she could not capitalize on the success was a different thing altogether. Kareena Kapoor debuted in Refugee in the same year, opposite the equally fresh Abhishek Bachchan but it bombed at the box office.
- Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam – The beautiful actress turned down Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam because the subject did not excite her, even though the film was directed by none other than Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Kal Ho Na Ho – In a lighter vein, Karan Johar revealed the obvious truth- he was angry with Kareena Kapoor for turning ‘Kal Ho Na Ho’ down. The movie went to Preity Zinta and created history at the box office.
- Page 3 – Did you know that Kareena Kapoor rejected Page 3, which turned out to be a seminal movie, in its own right? She was supposed to play Konkona Sen Sharma’s character.
- Fashion – Kareena Kapoor rejected Fashion, which won popular and critical acclaim for her arch rival Priyanka Chopra, who stepped in and relished the role. Till date, Fashion is known to be Priyanka Chopra’s career best performance and a mile-stone movie of Madhur Bhandarkar.
- Chennai Express- Kareena Kapoor rejected Chennai Express but come to think of it, it was a blessing in disguise because only Deepika Padukone could get the Tamilian accent correct, among the current lot of top actresses. The result, Chennai Express becomes a blockbuster and Shah Rukh Khan’s biggest box-office earner and Deepika Padukone walked away with many awards.
- Ram Leela – Kareena Kapoor turned down Sanjay Leela Bhansali, a second time, when she rejected Ram Leela. The movie went to Deepika Padukone and the actress won rave reviews for her performance
- Queen – Kangana Ranaut is being called the ‘Queen of Bollywood’. The much-loved movie was once in Kareena Kapoor’s lap and now is synonymous with Kangana Ranaut.
So, one can safely say that Kareena Kapoor has an indirect role in making stars out of Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone and Kangana Ranaut.
Kareena Kapoor candidly admits, “The role is more important to me, when you are hearing the narration you should feel good. Many actors like to read scripts, I try to read scripts but I fall asleep. I like to hear it. So when I hear the script it should excite me. Sometimes you like it (script) and sometimes you don’t. There is no heroine, who has rejected movies, like I have.” We can see that.