Ajay Devgan has been a front-runner along with the Khans and Akshay Kumar, these men have dominated Bollywood from the 90s till today. Ajay (real name Vishal Devgan) continues to hold his fray with his amazing screen presence, knockout performances, fabulous action and under-rated comic timing.
When he teamed up with Rohit Shetty, he began to grow from strength to strength, so much that their recent release ‘Singham Returns’ has broken all records, including getting the best first-day collection of 2014 and the biggest first day collections ever, along with Chennai Express and Ek Tha Tiger. He is also the recipient of two national awards, one for The ‘Legend of Bhagat Singh’ and ‘Naajayaz’. Here are the best movies of Ajay Devgan –
10. Dil to Baccha Hai Jee (2011) – Ajay Devgan came up with an understated performance as a corporate boss who is dealing with a troubled marriage and midlife crisis, while falling for his junior employee.
9. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999) – The actor plays the role of a big-hearted husband who doesn’t tolerate lies but is magnanimous enough to be partners-in-crime with his wife Aishwarya Rai. Understanding her love for her ex-boyfriend, he leaves no stone unturned in helping her meeting her beloved. Guess, who gets the girl?
8. Omkara (2006) – This Shakespearean adaptation of Othello, Omkara had Ajay Devgan playing the role of a gangster and political enforcer, who kills his wife Dolly (Kareena Kapoor), over suspicion that she is having an affair with Kesu (Vivek Oberoi)
7. All the Best – Fun Begins (2009) – This Rohit Shetty mad-cap comedy had Ajay Devgan raising the laughs as Prem Chopra and his wife played by Bipasha Basu as Jhanvi, hoping to make some money off the rich man Dharam Kapoor (Sanjay Dutt) who visits them.
6. Company (2002) – Ajay Devgan played a smooth-talking no-nonsense don in this underworld thriller by Ram Gopal Varma. The movie went on to win him the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award.
5. Deewangee (2002) – Ajay Devgan played the role of a man who fools the world claiming that he is mentally affected patient and couldn’t have committed the alleged homicide. He went on to win Filmfare Best Villain Award for the film.
4. Phool Aur Kaante(1991)- Ajay Devgan arrived and how! Probably, the best entry for a debutante ever in Bollywood, the actor arrived with both his legs extended on the seats of two running bikes. The plot had sufficient depth for him, where he even played the father in his very first film that was laced with nostalgic music from Nadeem-Shravan. The movie also went on to him the Filmfare Award for the Best Actor.
3. Singham Returns (20140- Probably, the most successful movie of Ajay Devgan’s career, the actor made a tactical move by producing it , as well. With the ever-dependent Rohit Shetty at the helm of affairs, the movie has gone to smash many records. It made 27 crores on the first day, while the original made 9 crores on the first day.
2. The Legend of Bhagat Singh(2002) – Ajay Devgan suited the role of the historical character to the T, he not only won a National Award for the Best Actor but he also ended up with the Filmfare Award Critics Award for this movie, directed by Raj Kumar Santoshi.
1. Singham (2011) – Ajay Devgan’s landmark movie, Singham is to him what Baazigar is to Shah Rukh Khan, Dabangg is to Salman Khan and Krrish is to Hrithik Roshan. Friend and director Rohit Shetty ensured that this movie captivated the mass like nothing ever, so much that it is now known as Bollywood’s most popular cop movie, overtaking even Zanjeer and Dabangg.